From "Essex County, NJ, Illustrated 1897":

The Newark Daily Advertiser had its birth on Thursday, March 1, 1832 and was the first daily newspaper published in New Jersey. The Advertiser was Whig in its politics. When the Whig party died, the Daily Advertiser became Republican. In 1895 the location of the paper changed from the southeast corner of Broad and Market to 794 Broad Street. In 1896 the paper was purchased by Sheffield Phelps who is also one of the owners of the Jersey City Journal.

**************************************************

From the 1890-91 Newark, New Jersey Directory of Employees of the "Newark Daily Advertiser" newspaper.

Transcribed by Michelle Groel

1. Harry W. BIRRELL, 20 Mt. Prospect Place, Newark, NJ - Daily Advertiser

2. Noah BROOKS, 2 Lombardy, Newark, NJ - Daily Advertiser Editor

3. Frank B. CONNER, 125 Badger Avenue, Newark, NJ - Daily Advertiser

4. William A. CRANE, 43 South, Newark, NJ - Daily Advertiser

5. Joseph C. DUNN, 788 Broad /Park House, Newark, NJ - Daily Advertiser

6. Alfred J. ENO, 261 Broad, Newark, NJ - Daily Advertiser reporter

7. Thomas T. KINNEY, 1062 Broad, Newark, NJ - Newark Daily Advertiser, Editor and Proprietor Fidelity Title & Deposit Co. ; President

8. William M. LEE, 404 Halsey, Newark, NJ - Daily Advertiser foreman

9. Joseph H. MILLER, 29 Bathgate Place, Newark, NJ - Daily Advertiser office

10. Charles NICHOLS, 125 M& E. R. R. Avenue, Newark, NJ - Daily Advertiser office

11.Wesley ROBERTSON, Davis Avenue and Bergen, Kearny Township, Newark, NJ - Daily Advertiser reporter

12. Oba WOODRUFF, 159 Washington, Newark, NJ - Daily Advertiser business manager 788 Broad, Newark, NJ -Office