From "Essex County, NJ, Illustrated 1897":
The Newark Evening News has had constant and rapid growth since its' inception in 1883. Starting with one edition of about 3,000 copies, run off on a little press capable of printing only one side of 3,600 sheets and hour, the paper has in thirteen years attained a daily circulation of 39,000. This is the largest circulation ever attained by any other New Jersey daily newspaper.
In the tenth year of its career the owners of the Evening News purchased the fine double building at No's. 215-217 Market Street, nearly the whole of which is devoted to its use. Here it has an equipment by far surpassing that of any other New Jersey newspaper.
It has two great Hoe presses, made to the order of the publishers. One is a sextuple press capable of printing, cutting and folding 72,000 four, six or eight page papers, 48,000 ten or twelve page papers, 36,000 sixteen page or 24,000 fourteen, twenty or twenty-four page papers an hour. The other is a quadruple press, having two-thirds the capacity of its companion on most sized papers. Together the two will print 120,000 four, six or eight page papers, 72,000 ten or twelve page papers, 48,000 fourteen page and 60,000 sixteen page papers an hour.
This splendid press room equipment is the sixth put in to meet the necessities imposed by the growth of the News. The little press first put up in the cellar of the building at No. 844 Broad Street, proved in a very few months inadequate to meet the demands upon it, and was replaced by another with a capacity of 12,000 copies an hour. Only four page papers were printed then, it being necessary, when eight page ones were needed, to print two sheets separately and fold them together. in a year or two this press was in turn replace by another of double its capacity and using stereotype plates. This soon proved unequal to it duties, and was followed by still another, the capacity again being doubled. that press, the last used in the Broad Street building was capable of only half the work which can be done by the quadruple, or one third that which can be done by the sextuple press.
Long before its removal to Market Street, the News had outgrown its old quarters. Additions had been made to the building, No 844 and the upper floors of the one adjoining, No 846, had been leased and used. In the Evening News building all the departments of the paper find ample accommodations.
Closely connected with the press room is a complete stereotyping apparatus. The presses are run and power for other work is furnished by a double fifty horse power engine. The building is lighted throughout by electricity, the entire plant being owned and operated by the News.
The number of men employed in the composing room of the News is far in excess of that working on any other New Jersey newspaper. In all its departments the same fact holds forth. It does more work and employs more men to do it than any of its State contemporaries.
From the beginning, the Evening News has been under the same management. Wallace M. Scudder is the publisher and Henry Abbott Steel is the editor. William Hooper Howells is the manager of the advertising department. Russell P. Jacoby was the first city editor.
|Copyright 1998 - 2019 Glenn G. Geisheimer|